By Noel Anderson, blog read time 3 minutes…
With an estimated HGV driver shortage of 50,000 drivers – forecast to grow to an astonishing 150,000 drivers by 2020 (1) – driver recruitment continues to be the number one issue for transport managers in the UK today. Furthermore, in an FTA survey 46% of transport managers reported that they have been unable to fill HGV driver vacancies (2).
To add to this problem many drivers are retiring, and with limited new talent on the horizon, the industry is crying out for innovation.
What’s the solution to the HGV driver shortage crisis?
Figure 1 – Watch the quick video to learn more
Developed by industry insiders with over 25 years’ agency and carrier experience, www.truckstars.co.uk is an easy-to-use app that has been designed to help transport managers find the best HGV drivers and fill urgent HGV shifts.
How? By joining Truckstars, you will gain access to a growing fleet of drivers who are looking for extra shifts to boost their income. Many are available at the honk of a horn!
So how does it work?
Figure 2 – The Truckstars App
- Drivers sign-up to the Truckstars app, uploading their basic information, driving licence, driver qualification card (DQC), Digi Card and National Insurance Number. The Truckstars team then verifies their documents and eligibility to work in the UK
- Once a driver is ready – like a light on a taxi – they flag their availability to work on the app and can start accepting shifts
For Transport Managers
- First, contact email@example.com to create an account (free of charge) where the Truckstars team will help you upload shifts to the app 24/7. Truckstars immediately broadcasts these shifts to suitable drivers in your area via app notifications and email
- Available drivers accept these shifts via the app
- When a shift is accepted, immediate notification is given to the client which releases the driver’s details and compliance information
- Payment for the job is deposited into a designated holding account. Actual payment is only released once the shift has finished and the job is successfully completed. The driver then gets paid within 24 hours
- Before commencing a shift, drivers arrive in plenty of time to go through the onboarding process*
- On job completion, the driver receives a Truckstars rating which updates the driver quality database. This makes the identification of the best drivers an easy task for future hires
*As this is an app-based service, even though we run compliance checks when drivers sign-up, it is your responsibility to run your own compliance and identity checks before the driver can begin their shift. Of course, we make this easier for you by providing compliance documentation in advance
What about payment?
Unlike traditional agencies, Truckstars has total transparency on pay and charge rates.
When a client contacts us, it can often be because there is an urgent need to deliver a load that must go out quickly. To reflect this, Truckstars operates using premium hourly driver rates which cleverly vary depending on urgency, start time and day of the week.
Truckstars automatically takes commission on payment that is 50-75% times lower than a traditional agency. Everything else is passed on to the driver.
By using e-commerce, minimising transaction costs and maximising transparency, Truckstars has built a core of quality drivers who know they will be fairly remunerated and like working on a flexible basis (3). This ensures reliability and drivers of the highest standard. Drivers live by their Truckstars rating. No show, no stars, no more jobs.
In 2019 Truckstars will only be working with ten new clients, so be fast if you want to be one of the first to benefit from this technology.
Truckstars is an innovative way to fix the HGV driver shortage crisis in the UK. We want to help you, so contact us now:
Please provide your availability, contact number and we’ll call you right back. We welcome you to put Truckstars to the test.
Earn more. Go Far. Be a Truckstar.
References and further reading:
1. 50,000 too few HGV drivers | IOSH Magazine
2. Driver Shortage Issues and Trends | FTC Report
3. HGV Driver Survey, Issues and Concerns | Return Loads
Additional video references, in order of appearance
4. Current Top Industry Issues | RHA Road Haulage Association
5. Average age of UK Truck Drivers | Return Loads